Beginning in 2019, Pickles Butte Sanitary Landfill will charge customers an additional $50 fee for vehicles or trailers that have uncovered/unsecured loads. The $50 fee is being implemented to help reduce the amount of trash and debris on the roadways that lead to the landfill.
Pickles Butte Sanitary Landfill offers the following tips for securing and covering loads:
- Use a tarp big enough to completely cover your trailer or truck bed – a minimum of four (4) inches should overlap the sides, front, and back of your load.
- Tightly secure the tarp with ropes, bungee cords, netting, or straps.
- Put lighter items at the bottom of the load.
- When transporting large items, make sure they are tied down and secured to the truck or trailer so they don’t move.
- Don’t overload – keep material level with the truck bed or trailer.
- Before leaving the landfill, remove any loose material that may remain in the trailer or truck bed.
The additional $50 fee for uncovered/unsecured loads takes effect January 1, 2019. Please note Canyon County already has an ordinance prohibiting uncovered/unsecured loads on county roadways. The applicable County Code section from Chapter 2 Article 3 is provided below:
02-03-03(3) Prohibited: It shall be unlawful for any person hauling garbage, refuse, rubbish or trash of any kind upon the public highways of Canyon County outside the corporate limits of any municipality within Canyon County to haul garbage, refuse, rubbish or trash without covering and securing such garbage, refuse, rubbish or trash in a manner as to prevent scattering or blowing or loss of the material being so transported. (Ord. 05-011, 4-6-05, eff. 4-10-05: 2005 Code)
02-03-15-(2)Penalty: Any person violating any section of this article, other than sections 02-03-08 or section 02-03-13(4) of this article, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and each separate violation hereof shall be punishable by fine or not more than three hundred dollars ($300.00). (Ord. 05-012, 4-12-05, eff. 4-17-05: 2005 Code)