Building Department


Hard HatBuilding codes are collections of regulations which pertain to specific subjects such as designing, constructing or remodeling of buildings. The use of codes helps keep construction costs down and provide uniformity in the construction industry. They contribute to the well-being of the community by preservation of life and safety. The maintenance of property values over time are a direct result of the application and enforcement of the codes related to building. All codes have the same purpose; to protect the health, safety and welfare of the building occupants. Canyon County adopted the 2012 International Building Codes external, as amended by the state of Idaho building code board pursuant to Idaho Code sections 39-4109 and 39-4116, in March 2015.   Ordinance 15-004, adopted March 13, 2015, amends Chapter 6, Article 1, Building Codes; adopting the 2012 editions of the International Building Code and International existing building code as adopted by the State of Idaho or the Idaho Building Code Board.


2017 Building permits issued in the unincorporated portion of Canyon County increased approximately 21% over the previous year.  With that growth there has been an influx of new builders and new residents from out of the area. And with that, an increase in building code violations. All new structures in Canyon County require at a minimum a zoning compliance and setback inspection; specifically agriculturally exempt buildings.  In addition to a zoning compliance, all building projects 200 sf or more require a building permit, including new residential and commercial structures, additions, some remodels, pools, move-on sheds, patio covers, carports, mobile and manufactured homes (to name a few). All structures (including Ag Exempt) within a floodplain require a development permit in addition to a zoning compliance and usually will also require a building permit. Living in recreational vehicles requires a temporary permit and can only be permitted for 90 days outside of an RV park within one calendar year. Canyon County prides itself in maintaining high building standards and recently adopted the 2015 International Building Codes. Building codes are collections of regulations which pertain to specific subjects such as designing, constructing or remodeling of buildings. The use of codes helps keep construction costs down and provide uniformity in the construction industry. They contribute to the well-being of the community by preservation of life and safety. The maintenance of property values over time are a direct result of the application and enforcement of the codes related to building. All codes have the same purpose; to protect the health, safety and welfare of the building occupants. Please check with the County Development Services Department for questions regarding your project. Call before you build. You can reach us Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm at 208 454 7458 or email   Training and additional information about International Building Codes is available on the International Code Council website at external

Building Code 06-01-09
(1) Building Permits; it shall be unlawful for any person to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, improve, move, remove, convert or demolish any building or structure unless a separate permit for each building or structure has first been obtained from the County Development Service Department. (Ord. 15-004, 03-13-2015)
 Compliance for a Building Permit

Building Permits require submittal documents as listed below.  To submit your application, it will be necessary for you to visit the Development Services (DSD) office Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (We are closed all major Holidays.)  Commercial structures may require additional documents, so please check with a Permit Technician or Planner for additional information.   Please submit all necessary documentation at the time of your visit .

  • Complete Building Permit Application;
  • Deed or Sales Agreement with a legal description is required only if the property was recently purchased or if the legal description or ownership has changed with the last 60 days;
  • A detailed site plan (does not have to be to scale) showing dimensions of the entire property (boundary lines); show and label the use of each existing structure and the proposed new structure (i.e. house, barn, shop) showing approximate distances from the proposed structure to the property boundaries and between structures. Indicate names of adjacent roads.  Indicate where existing septic/well is in relation to structures; show any easements;
  • Two (2) sets of complete building plans drawn 1/4″ to 1″ scale;
  • 8 1/2″ x 11″ copy of the site plan and floor plans (all floors, including bonus room, existing floor plan with rooms labeled If addition to residence);
  • A Southwest District Health Department Septic Permit external;
  • Highway District or Idaho Transportation Department approval will be required for all approaches.
  • A RES Check (Energy Conservation Compliance Worksheet, external) and/or a COM Check.
  • Manual J, or S & D Heating and Cooling Calculations (typically provided by your HVAC Contrctor) is a requirement for a new residence or a new “conditioned” structure, but does not have to be submitted with your application.  It MUST be on-site when your inspector arrives for your scheduled inspection;
  • Fire District Access Permit if the furthest point of the house is more than 150-feet from the edge of the public right-of-way or if the structure will have access onto a private road;
  • A $70 Zoning Compliance fee will be collected at the time the application is submitted; and if a residential project a $180.00 plan review fee will be collected.  We accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover with an approx 3% convenience fee included in the charge by the credit card company.
  • Additional Building Permit and Plan Review Fees will be due at the time permit is issued. 
Additional Documentation May Be Required

Depending on the project, an applicant may also be required to provide the following documentation:

  • A Mechanical Permit  Mechanical Permit Application – New Construction pdf Mechanical Permit Application – Commercialpdf Mechanical Permit Application RETRO_Constructionpdf HVAC Procedures pdf  Credit Card Authorization Form pdf
  • Certificate of the private road or driveway may be required by a professional engineer certifying the driveway surface meets Canyon County Standards;
  • Certification acceptable to the Development Services Department Director certifying the private road sign has been installed to meet agency standards;
  • Copy of the recorded Road User’s Maintenance Agreement and recorded easement (required if access road is private);
  • If your property is in a Flood Plain, you will be required to apply for a Development Permit. There is a $70 fee for this application, due at time of submittal.   Elevation Certificate pdf
  • Any other documentation identified by the Planner;
  • Additional requirements or conditions as assigned as the result of a public hearing;
  • If you are building in the Nampa or Caldwell Impact Areas, addresses should be assigned from that city;
  • Ag-Exempt Permits require a Certificate of Zoning Compliance for qualified structures (ask a planner what qualifies ) – a $70 fee applies and applicable inspection(s);
  • Commercial structures will require a Fire District Stamp on plans submitted with accompanying documentation;
  • Commercial structures will require a COM Check;
  • We accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover with an approx 3% convenience fee included in the charge by the credit card company.
  • Manufactured Home Application
    • Ad Valorem (required for previously owned Manufactured Homes that are being purchased from an individual showing that taxes are current.  You may obtain a copy from the Assessor’s office of the county where the home is located.)
    • Pre-1976 Rehab Form pdf signed by the State of Idaho (visit their website  external for complete details).
    • Manufactured Home/Mobile Home Permit Application pdf

*Note:  A delay in submitting any required documentation will result in a delay in the issuance of the Building Permit.  The above list of required documentation is a guideline and may be subject to change without notice.

Group of InspectorsBuilding Inspection Information Inspections may ONLY be scheduled through the inspection line. Please call 208-454-7460 to schedule all Building and HVAC inspection requests. Please don’t schedule an inspection before the work is ready; this may result in a $50 re-inspection fee.

Building Inspections This is a sampling of inspections that may be required for your project. Inspection requirements can change based upon the scope and complexity of the project. Please check with Building Department Staff for further detailed information.


  • Footing/Setback
  • Basement Walls/Retaining Walls
  • Pre-Floor Sheathing
  • Shear Panels 1
  • Shear Panels 2
  • Stucco
  • HVAC
  • Framing
  • Energy Code
  • Final Inspection may include
  • Final State Electrical Inspection
  • Final State Plumbing Inspection
  • Final CC Mechanical Inspection
  • Final Southwest District Health approval
  • Insulation Certification
  • 6″ Street Address posted
  • Vapor barrier in crawl space
  • Other Life/Safety codes
  • Approved Plans and posted address must be on-site for each inspection.

General Building Code Information Agriculture Building Exemption Code pdf Understanding the Agriculture Building Exemption pdf International Code Council – Review Adopted Codes external Building Energy Codes (IECC) RES Check-web external Com Check external State of Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licensing Idaho Contractor’s Board CONSUMER GUIDE TO HIRING A CONTRACTOR pdf CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION PROCESS external CONTRACTOR LICENSING  INSTRUCTIONS external

Climatic And Geographic Design Criteria: Section R301.2, “Climatic And Geographic Design Criteria”, table R301.2(1) shall be changed to read as follows:
TABLE R301.2(1)1,2

Standards Chart

1. For SI: 1 pound per square foot = 0.0479 kN/ m2, 1 mile per hour = 1.609 km/h.

2. Language explaining the letters a. through k., inclusively, found in the above table, is included with the table in the international residential code and is incorporated by reference as if fully rewritten herein.

Propane Tank DiagramLiquefied Petroleum Gas Storage – below is a figure that shows the minimum separation between containers and buildings, public ways, or lot lines of adjoining property.

General Information:

Propane equipment can become an explosion hazard if not installed, handled and maintained properly.

  • Propane in its natural state is odorless.  An odorant – ethyl mercaptyn – is added to alert occupants to the presence of propane leaks.  However, the odorant may lose its effectiveness, particularly if there is rust inside the tank.
  • Propane requires 2.5 times the amount of combustion air as natural gas.
  • Propane is more explosive than natural gas (2% to 3% concentration of air).
  • Propane has a heating value of about 2,500Btu/cubic foot (compared to approximately 1,050Btu/cubic foot for natural gas).
  • Propane-gas valves should be protected from freezing in cold areas.
  • Stationary tanks are built to ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) standards.  They are steel.  They must have a legible data plate.  The container capacities are express in maximum amounts of water gallons or pounds.
  • Portable tanks are built to DOT (Department of Transportation) standards and may be aluminum or steel.  Their date of manufacture is stamped into the body or neck ring.  Container capacities are expressed in the amount of propane in pounds.

Canyon County adopted the Mechanical Code portion of the 2009 International Residential Code on December 29, 2010.  This Code applies to one and two-family dwellings.  Mechanical Permits are now required for mechanical (HVAC) equipment installed in “New” and “Existing” dwellings.

Example:  Installation of any Heating and/or cooling system; fuel fired water heaters; fireplaces; pool heaters and fuel gas piping / venting require a mechanical permit.

Mechanical Permit Application forms (New, Retro) are available for you to give to your HVAC Contractor of choice. There are instructions on the form so your HVAC Contractor will not be required to come into the office to apply.

Mechanical Inspections are now required for all “New” dwellings and additions/alterations as well as retro installations of heating and cooling systems.  This includes pressure testing for all Natural Gas and LP-gas lines from the meter to the inlet connection of the equipment.

PLEASE NOTE:  All Electrical and Plumbing applications and inspections are handled by the State of Idaho, Department of Building Safety.  They can be reached by calling (208) 334-3950.

We hope this Building Reference Guide pdf will serve as a valuable resource for your building projects.  You may still have questions, in which case please contact us.

Contact Information:

Canyon County Building Department
Canyon County Administration Building
111 North 11th Avenue, #140, Caldwell, Idaho
Phone: (208) 454-7458

Office hours:  8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
No appointments necessary

We wish to give our sincere appreciation to for providing reference materials to create this document.

Building Permit Center:  Need to check on a Building Permit, call our office at (208) 454-7458.                                                                      . Building Code Resources Ordinance Reference: Building Code Ordinance external (Ord.15-004 Amendment to Chapter 6).

Building Code Resources  Idaho Statutes and Administrative Rules pdf Provided by the Idaho Division of Building Safety external  

Application Forms:

DIYGuide to Sealing & Insulating with Energy Star pdf RADON in your Home? Radon is an odorless, colorless, radioactive gas. It is also the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Surgeon General’s office estimate radon is responsible for more than 20,000 lung cancer deaths each year. Since it is difficult to identify any immediate symptoms related to radon exposure, it may take years before health problems appear. So, whether in the workplace, in homes, or in schools, understanding radon is important. Having your home tested is the only effective way to determine whether you or your family is at risk of radon exposure. For more details visit: external

Front of HouseBuilding Code 06-01-09 (Ord. 15-004 Dated: 3-13-2015) A Mobile Home is a structure that was built prior to June 15, 1976. They require Mobile Home Rehabilitation prior to obtaining a Building Permit with Canyon County. A Manufactured Home is a structure built after June 15, 1976 and is for residential use only. A Modular building is any building, other than a manufactured or mobile home, that is of closed construction and is either entirely or substantially prefabricated or assembled at a place other than the building site. Modular buildings are built for residential or commercial use and the construction is regulated by the codes adopted by the state. Canyon County’s Building Code 06-01-09 Mobile/Manufactured and Modular Home Exception: Setup and installation of mobile, manufactured and modular homes shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation manual or if a manual is not available then the most current Idaho manufactured home installation standard published by the State of Idaho, Division of Building Safety, Manufactured Housing section. The State’s Manufactured Housing Program works in partnership with involved state agencies, school districts, local jurisdictions, architects, engineers and industry to ensure the health, safety and welfare of Idaho’s citizens through effective administration of Idaho’s building safety laws and regulations as they relate to manufactured housing. To find out more about applying for a Building Permit for a mobile, modular or manufactured structure, please visit the Canyon County Building Department. Planners are available to meet with you between 8 am and 4 pm, Monday through Friday. Our office is located on the 1st Floor of the Administration Building, 111 North 11th Avenue, Caldwell.

Throughout the year many training and certification classes and events are held in the Building Community.  These classes usually include continuing education credits that will keep your certifications current by meeting the International Code Council standards.  We will periodically post links to these events on our website in an effort to keep you informed, so check back frequently.

If you know of an event and would like to have us consider including it here, please contact



111 N. 11th Ave ROOM 140
Caldwell, ID 83605

Phone / Fax

P 208-454-7458
F 208-454-6633



Weekdays 8am – 5pm
(excluding holidays)
*Accept Applications 8am-4pm

English | Esp