Marriage License




Online Marriage Application external

To obtain a Marriage License (18 & older):

  • No appointment necessary
  • Both parties must appear together
  • Each party must know their Social Security Number
  • Blood tests are not required. Effective July 1, 2019, the county will no longer be providing the educational pamphlet regarding Aids (per Senate Bill No. 1055, Idaho Code 32-412A)
  • Cost of Marriage License – $28.00 cash only

Proof of Identity and Age
(Idaho Code 32-202)
Applicants 16 or 17 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The applicant must present one of the following:
  • Original birth certificate or a certified copy
  • Parent or legal guardian must complete
*Please Note: Applicants 15 years of age and under will need a court order to get married*

Are marriage ceremonies performed at the Canyon County Courthouse? Yes. The judges are available to marry couples Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.  It is a first come first serve basis. Please call ahead during the holiday season as their times may differ. The cost is $25.00. Exact cash is required. You may have up to 100 witnesses If you have any other questions regarding the judges availability beyond the hours above, please call 454-7365, 454-6612, 454-7512 or 454-6889.

Can I be married with an Idaho Marriage License in another state? No, an Idaho State Marriage License is only valid in Idaho.

Do I need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain a marriage license? No, however, with an Idaho State Marriage License, you must get married in Idaho.

Do you accept credit & debit cards? No, we accept cash only. There is an ATM in the Courthouse.

Is an Idaho Marriage recognized in other states? Yes.

Is my last name automatically changed after the ceremony? No, you must present a certified copy of the Marriage License to the: – Social Security Office external – Sheriff’s Driver’s License

Is there a waiting period before using the license? No, you may get married (the same day) immediately after obtaining your marriage license.

When we receive the Marriage License, are we married? No, an authorized clergy member, judge or other designated official, i.e. mayor or governor, must perform the ceremony. Marriage Solemnization Chart pdf

When will the Marriage License expire? There is no expiration date on the license.  If a completed original is not returned within a year, please contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics external at (208)334-5988.

Who is authorized to solemnize a marriage ceremony in Idaho? (Marriage Solemnization Chart) The Bureau of Vital Statistics requires (in order to record the license) that the officiant be authorized under Idaho Code Section 32-303.  Authorized officiants must be from Idaho; the only exceptions being: – Any federal judge – Retired Idaho governor – Priest or minister of the gospel of any denomination


111 N 11th Ave SUITE 330
Caldwell, ID 83605

Phone / Fax

P 208-454-7555
F 208-454-6689



Weekdays 8am – 5pm
(excluding holidays)

English | Español